Wednesday 29 May 2019

A Cricket Crazy I Was


I had just finished one of my papers the previous day and sat brooding over what could have gone better. I focused on what went wrong rather than preparing for the next paper. But only until afternoon when the next match in the 1996 World Cup Cricket would begin. I reluctantly had my lunch and switched on the TV promising myself I would not stay glued to it for long.

Everything, including my mood and resolution changed in a few minutes when the winners of a certain ‘Best Catch and Run-out’ competition were to be announced. It was a few weeks before that when I decided on which was the best catch and run-out in a certain mid-match competition and wanted to answer the question. Sending through India Post, I knew would be slow and my answers would never reach before the last date, so I had called up my Uncle and asked him if he could fax from his office. He did.

Coming back to the announcement moment, my heart skipped several beats as I waited for the announcements; the judges' choices had matched mine! The second runner up was to be announced first and as the host Charu Sharma picked up the winner from a bunch of post cards, I knew it couldn’t be me! He then announced that he would pick up the first runner up from the bunch of faxes and I breathed a sigh of relief.  He then said it’s from a very far off place and I was almost telling myself that it had to me! In a few seconds, my name flashed across the TV screen and in those days when people paid less heed to privacy, my address too was on the screen. Yes, it was me! Yes, it was me!

I jumped up and down and cried and laughed loud and some of the neighbours thought that the siblings might be at their usual round of fights. I was alone at home and had just me to celebrate with! Not for long though as the phone started ringing...my uncle, my teacher ABD, my friends and relatives all who were watching TV that moment called up to congratulate. I called Baba but by that time the news had already reached him! Yes, it was one of those lucky lucky moments you want to remember for a lifetime.

I became a celebrity of sorts, everywhere I went random people would enquire and talk about it. I made several pen pals then, people who had caught my short address quick and written to me. At times, I would be embarrassed by people asking me if I had received the TV as it took a lot of effort from Baba and my aunt to actually get that coveted prize home. The Videocon 14 inch colour TV still lives in our home. Needless to say I didn’t care much for the First Prize as it was a ticket to Eden Gardens for the semis which I was eventually glad to have not won, thanks to the India-Srilanka outcome.
I don't think I will watch the 2019 Cricket World Cup but once was upon a time 'A Cricket Crazy I Was!



No comments:

Post a Comment