Thursday 22 December 2011

My best Christmas memory

My best Christmas memory….... Years ago when I was in Bangalore I met Br Joshy and Br Jobby from my alma mater St Anthony’s college by chance; we hardly used emails then and FB groups didn’t exist! They were finishing their theology course in Kristu Jyoti.  They invited me one Christmas to accompany them to a nearby village where they used to teach. The occasion was Christmas and the event was a talent show for the kids.  I was to judge a dance competition and I was quite at a loss with  myself since I wasn’t born with any artistic skills whatsoever nor did I cultivate any ever!  I cannot forget the reception I received there. Throngs of children in bright toothy smiles gathering to see me. They wanted to know how to address me and Br Jobby quickly said ‘Sister’. So all around I could hear sounds of Hi Sister, Hello Sister, Welcome Sister. When the actual show began, there was no need to judge. I was fascinated by the children and their simplicity. Their dance simply left me enthralled and I wished big  time to join them. But I was a judge! And a Sister!  I scribbled the score each time a new contestant took the stage! I just could not decide who was the best! But I gave 10 on 10 to a girl of 4 or 5 years who came and stood still and smiled till her teeth ached! Br Jobby or Joshi smiled at me and said ‘But she did nothing?’ I said ‘But I am the judge!’

No comments:

Post a Comment