Tuesday 21 July 2015

It's perfectly OK to talk

I was talking to this young girl whom I have known since she was a kid. I did not see her much during her growing up years however when she told me she was suffering from depression I was left speechless and though I did not say anything on her face, in my heart I had questions like why, how, what...

I didn't ask her why or since when but from what she told me spontaneously I could figure out that it was pressure, pressure to perform at her studies, pressure to be like her classmates or outshine them and most importantly the comparisons between her and her elder sibling. And that came from all corners - relatives, cousins. Thankfully her parents were supportive and she is well on her way to lead a normal life.

And this incident reminded of someone else who unable to deal with the pressures of his professional course and started behaving different and it took some time for his family to deal with it and get him out of it.

What I don't understand or know is whether such symptoms are on the rise today considering the rat race for which we are prepared for right from our childhood! Dance class, music class, swimming class, foreign language class and what not! Give it a break please, dear parents! Don't let your child do everything that you wanted to do and could not do whatever might have been the circumstances then! Let her choose whatever she is interested in!

And to everyone, young or not-so-young, please talk! It does not do any good keeping things to yourselves and trying to solving it all by yourself! Don't do that! Talk to friends, cry if you must but don't think you are alone! Every one goes through ups and downs in life and there is no magic available to come out of it. It takes time, patience, family and friends to help one out of a situation. Speak, get some advise and walk ahead! Don't compare your journey with anyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment