Saturday 8 August 2015

To Sir, With Love

It's difficult, even after almost 3 months, to believe that Sir is no more! While I was traveling to Shillong I was thinking that this visit I will see him. He was recently active on Facebook and had become kind of more reachable; he was sharing jokes, he had his political views and of course he displayed his love for Cricket! And with the world cup cricket on we discussed more cricket!

I am just one of those hundreds on whose lives Sir has had a great impact! I had started taking his classes when my board exam was knocking the doors from a little distance, when another of my Mathematics teachers had expired, when there was no teacher in my school who would teach Additional Mathematics. But his confidence in me was ever more than my confidence in myself! He had somehow known that I would do well and that helped me more than anything else.

I remember in one of the tests that he had taken, he picked my paper first and based on the results he corrected the other papers. And in one of the problems he had missed the last line mistake that I had made. The other students checked each other's answer sheets and realized that he had put a cross against the same problem when in fact their solution was correct. He had this trust in me! My eyes are wet as I write this. He did re-check and mine was incorrect! I expected all heaven to break lose that evening but he did not say anything more than asking me to be more careful in my board exam. That I lived up to his expectation is perhaps the best accomplishment in my life.

His teaching and everything about him was different. His humility stood above everything else. He would visit students in the examination hall and provide that much needed word of encouragement. To me he said 'Don't worry, there will be at least one question which you are able to answer, attempt that first and then go for the next, one at a time'. And do I did, I attempted each and every question and complacency made me lose one. When I walked out of the examination hall, I could hear murmurs about how tough the paper was and I was asking myself really, was it tough?

Wherever you are now Sir, you will live in my memory forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment