Sunday 6 October 2013

Theirs vs Ours

My office route at Tampa included numerous passing by Moffit Cancer Institute as Residence Inn where I stayed housed many Moffit patients and one of the complimentary services was a pick and drop.

So, most of the patients it seemed were traveling alone to the hospital or it seemed to be accompanied by their spouse. I rarely noticed anyone whose children accompanied them. There were occasional moments when the whole family was there but most of the time it pained me to see an old ailing man accompanied by his husband or wife, which was old herself/himself.  I wondered where the children were! At rare moments, it made me proud to think that they were independent and that they cared for each other so much.

In my country India, however, whenever I have accompanied by mum to a hospital, I did not fail to notice that that old people were mostly accompanied by their children.

I also never a fellow Australian colleague with contempt when I remember his conversation about how his mother disturbed him because she would walk around in her sleep and that he got a huge relief when he put her an old age home. Well, so much for all parents do for their children.

I am just an ordinary being and criticism is but a part of me! Cultural differences are always existent but I think love or respect for your parents should be an integral part of every culture.

2 comments:

  1. Every culture has its own good things which others can adapt. We have our own weak points. But a great society is one which is ready to learn from others despite any differences.

    ReplyDelete