Saturday 25 December 2010

Shillong Memories




My hometown ofcourse. And just as everyone else would say about their hometown, I say the same that it is the best place in the world. I was born and brought up there and my childhood memories are from there. No matter where I be, the streets and roads and the shops and the lane shall always be imprinted on my mind and I can see the images without making any effort.

Cold place as it is, I still love winters as it has endless winter memories. The school holidays and the evening badminton games, the hide and seek when we were still younger can never come back but they were those golden days and will always be. I loved the winter sun and the sweet feeling with the sweet oranges in hand.

And there was Sankranti and we would wake up early morning and keep a watch on who is burning the 'mera meri ghar' first. My cousins would be with us too and we would savour the season with the sweet peethas and teel laddus. I agree we refused to visit many people then as the sweetness would get to our nerves and aunty who prepared singaras or luchis would be considered intelligent.

The Saraswati puja was another time for celebrations and what fun to go around and see the Puja pandals.

What to talk about Durga puja! That is the best time of the year and we would always pray that there were no rains. We did not know home then as we would go and spend the entire time in the Pandal(lunch was at home though). Evenings would be reserved for the cultural programmes and  even though there were no mobiles then, we would manage to coordinate with friends and reserve chairs for the show. Navami would be like the grand finale and we would return home only in the wee hours of the morning.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Durga-Puja-Jaintias-dance-to-bom-beats-for-celebrating-the-festival/articleshow/16924002.cms

Shillong will ever remain the home of homes and the root of what we are culturally. Christmas is always the best in Shillong and how I even today miss the sound of carols. I write this on a Christmas day when I am specially missing Shillong and wishing all my friends a Merry Christmas and a great year ahead!

Friends are welcome to comment their Shillong memories too!

And because Shillong memories are endless, I shall keep adding...

The below pics are taken from my terrace!

The clouds! No wonder it's called 'Meghalaya', the abode of clouds.
The rainbow is a frequent sight. I missed a slight brighter view because the camera wasn't in my hands then!

See how the trees are soaked in the rainbow colours. I really love this one! The houses just remind of everything that I am and I was and what I will be! It's a pain to say that I visit once a year but there;s hardly a choice.

And when it comes to cleanliness, who can beat us? You will know more from this article:  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Where-cleanliness-is-next-to-godliness/articleshow/17121390.cms

2 comments: