Tuesday 25 December 2012

Sachin's retirement


Should he have called it a day or should he have played a little more? Well, I may not be the best judge but I think he was a little late in his calling. He did not get the media coverage that he should have nor the kind of respect that he deserved! His retirement announcement came at a time when India is burning with shame, shame at not being able to protect her daughters and most of the news channels are covering the capital's debate for Capital punishment!

Ok, coming back to where we were, I do agree that Sachin has been one of the greatest players ever and I personally I think he had certain milestone to achieve on the top of his head and he wanted to get there! That was not happening and even me who is a fan thought it was about time he contributed to cricket in other forms than just being on the field. And then the other biggies like Amarnath, Kapil also expressed similar sentiments and it was under this kind of pressure from his fans and critics that he made his decision.

A friend was debating with me on whether he was THE greatest player and I said he was one of the greats and there are or have been other players doing great jobs in their own right. We agreed to disagree here!

I do wish his retirement had come in a more fashionable and graceful way considering all what he has done for Indian cricket. But it came at a time when Indian cricket team is not at its best form and there are ongoing debates on Dhoni's captaincy as well.

But life does not treat you the way you want always. Here is a person who has played all his life, whom the opposition feared but he really deserved a better farewell. I can sympathise with him, I have known this feeling but the best way to deal with life's setbacks is to have lesser expectations, do your bit today and expect the least and all of life's happiness will be yours.

Sachin, much as I feel that you should have walked out a bit earlier but I understand that you are a human and have your dreams and goals and I truly wish and hope you remain on the scene and do more than anyone ever expected!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment