Friday 31 May 2013

Temples around the world

Oh that's an email that has reached me from time to time and everytime I recieve one as a forward from someone, I look at it to see if I can strike off one from my list of to-see temples, the big ones around the world and specifically outside India. So this is one post which I will need to update from time to time and would love doing that, and may be feel proud and blessed.

Apparently most of these temples have been built for Lord Venkateswara and since I go by this email forward, I don't really know about other temples built for other Gods and Goddesses. Well, the other God who leaves his mark around is Swaminarayan. No offence meant, I am just analysing and I might well be wrong!

And many of these temples are in the US and this reminds me of a friend who asked me once  if I knew what USA stands for. According to him, it stands for 'United States of Andhra Pradesh'. Smiles.

I have also been to Sai baba temples but I think the list here precisely talks about the temple architecture, the build and beauty and the two Sai baba temples I have visited outside India have simple structures.

It's actually quite a list:

1. LordVenkateshwara Temple, Birmingham, United Kingdom - No no, not being to Birmingham even once.

2. MalibuHindu Temple, Malibu, California,US - It's just Tampa in US that I have visited and so no for this one as well.

3. Shiva-VishnuTemple, Livermore, California,US - No, no this one yet.

4. LordVishnu Temple, Angkor, Cambodia  - I haven't visited Cambodia either, seems like a lot of places around the world to go and visit and not so much time for the same.

5. Prambanan Shiva Temple, Central Java, Indonesia - Never been there too.

6. SriVenkateswara Swami Temple of Greater Chicago - Aurora, Illinois, United States - A 'No' again...Oh what have I seen. Nothing???

7. BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir - Toronto, Canada - Anytime soon, well I am hoping, hoping and hoping.

8. Sri Siva Vishnu Temple, Washington DC, United States  - No

9. BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, London (Neasden Temple) - An 'yes' for this finally and this was my first weekend in London and yes it was after changing stations and a long walk too. And then some traditional Gujarati food followed. And when we were getting back it was so cold that we were almost freezing as we waited in the bus stop. Other than that, everything in London is centrally air-conditioned and it was fun even in Feb/March.

10. SriMurugan Temple “Batu Caves”, Penang, Malaysia - 'No' to this one as well, atleast I have said 'yes' to one place.

11. SriVenkateswara Temple, Bridgewater, NJ, US - No, but will I make it soon?

12. Mother Temple of Besakih, Bali, Indonesia - No

13. MuruganTemple, Sydney, Australia - Yes yes yes, on my first Sydney visit I went there and what a walk that was! So tiring! But getting there was such a great experience and yes beautifully constructed too. Memories!

14. Venkateswara Swami temple, Riverdale near Atlanta, Georgia, US - No

15. SriVenkateswara Swami Temple, Helensburgh, Sydney, Australia - Yes, to this one as well. Loved that day, very special it was.

16. VelmuruganGnana Muneeswarar Temple, Rivervale Crescent Sengkang,Singapore - I would love to visit Singapore someday, only the airport is what I have seen of Singapore.

17. Sri Meenakshi Devasthanam - Pearland, Texas, US - No

18. Ekta Mandir, Irving, Texas, US - No

19. SriVenkateshwara Temple - New Jersey - No

20. SriLakshmi Temple - Ashland, MA, US - No

21. SriVenkateswara Swami Temple, Pittsburgh, US - No

22. ShivaVishnu Temple of South Florida Inc, FL, US - No, but someday I might!

23. Shiva - Vishnu Temple of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia - Yes, with my friend and her husband and again a beautiful place to be at. I cherish my Melbourne visit, my friend and her husband did everything to make me feel happy.

24. SriMurugan Temple, London, UK - Now, how did I miss that? I spent 6 months in London and not been there. It's shame considering how well connected London is and I could have made it there easily.

25. QuadCity Hindu Temple , Rock Island, IL, US - no

26. SriPrasanna Venkateswara Swami Temple, Memphis, Tennessee, US - no, and now I don't mind saying 'No' since I have had a few 'Yes's.

27. Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, Singapore - Singapore will happen one day am sure.

And I am going to add some from my list as well if you like:

1. Hindu Temple, Tampa - Just a short visit the other day and though the architecture of the temple much resembled the Venkateswara temples and yes it was a Vishnu temple, but seemed to be run by the Gujarati community.

If you wanted to visit, the address is 5509 Lynn Rd  Tampa, FL 33624. Have  a blessed time there.



No comments:

Post a Comment