Tuesday 9 April 2013

Grandparents' tales - II

I don't remember much of this story however I will try to recall as best as I can while I write! This is one of the stories told by my cousin's grandma and I thought I will include this as well. I was staying at their place in Guwahati and I remember how one afternoon me and my cousin sat listening to this story.

As with the case of most old people of my childhood days and specially when it is in Shillong or Guwahati, the old ladies and gentlemen would go flower stealing. Now what is flower stealing? Well our granparents are/were people who believe in pujas and part of our daily pooja even today means offering flowers to the Gods and Goddesses in pooja alter of our homes. And when there weren't many flowers available in our own homes, they would wake up early in the mornings and get flowers from the neighbours' houses. And since it would be early mornings before most people woke up, they would carry a stick or an umbrella to chase away the street dogs. Now this stick or long umbrella would serve two purpose, one chasing the dogs and two reaching for the distant branches which held the best flowers.

On one such morning, my cousin's grnadma as she claimed lost her away in the near darkness. Every turn she took seemed to take her to a dead end and she had no clue how to get to her home. It continued for a while and she told us that she was possessed by a ghost. She eventually managed to get back home and I will disappoint the readers when I tell that I don't remember if she had done anything special to get out of that spell!

No comments:

Post a Comment