Tuesday 16 April 2013

The New Delhi Navratra

  No no, I won't go into the details explaining what Navratra is all about however for the sake of those uninitiated, this festival is celebrated by the Hindus across India for nine days and twice a year! It is during this period that the Mother Goddess is worshipped, she who is the symbol of strength, of beauty and purity is worshipped in different ways.

My Delhi experience of Navratras makes me want to laugh! Everyone or more specifically almost all the ladies keep a fast and the manner is hilariously unique. They prepare all sort of dishes made of special ingredients and they munch these whole day. The entire concept of fast, that is resting your internal systems gets nullified even if we talk about the physical fasting. And God forbid my mention of spiritual gain by means of fasting, well the whole day most of these ladies do is think about food, pray tell me where God is?

No comments:

Post a Comment