Monday 29 April 2013

The Delhi tomato tadka appetite

Much as I love to say everything and anything against Delhi, I don't seem surprised that I do get new things to say anyway! This time it's the food and when it comes to food, Delhi has got many an option. But, but the fact of the matter is that you can't escape a Punjabi style, tomato tadka added to every food and that's where I would rather stay home and eat my favourite 'daal bhaat' sans tomato tadka.

Okay, here we go! Delhites will add onions and tomato to each dish they cook, you will literally see the oil floating and red chilli flakes swimming in there. And what's every Delhite's favourite dish, well it's Rajma Chawal of course. The pride they exhibit when they cook this dish or the excitement they feel at just the mention of rajma chawal is beyond all kinds of imagination. What's the next favourite dish? It's curry chawal ofcourse; oh what joy!!! And let me not miss 'Chole chawal'. Ok, that's the choice of dishes they have, well well, there is also a paneer speciality which I don't mind actually.

That's far as what Delhites cook, but let's come to what Delhites eat. They basically eat what they cook. They have not developed or will never develop any taste for any other food. When my mom or my sis-in-law prepares something special and we share it, the kind of reaction we receive from these few neighbours is as though they rather not look at it. It's such a pity! The other day someone at work said no to a dish simply because the looks didn't attract him. He even refused trying, pity isn't it how they refuse to come out of their shell?

Once we happened to visit Shirdi with some of these people who never want to change anything about themselves and though the rest of us wanted to taste Poha, these guys spent their morning hunting Paranthas. And you will not believe me when I say that once in an international flight, I have come across a family who demanded paranthas for breakfast.
And that's not it. When they cook Pasta or when they cook Dosa, they will not forget adding a tomato tadka and change the taste forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment