Tuesday 12 February 2013

What was called 'Miracle'

That day we survived! It was a miracle and people called it our 'rebirth'!

It was early March 2004, probably 3rd of March! Just a few days before Holi but was kind of warm and sunny. I was working in an evening shift then, 3 pm to 11 pm and I was not wearing a sweater even though I would return late! So it must have been warm! I wore a peach coloured suit and I really used to love the dupatta because it had some embroidery work on it.

We were 7 people on our way to work, three girls occupying the middle seats in the Sumo, one guy at the front seat and three guys behind. All of us were nearly sleepy as the cab drove through the empty Dwarka streets on a warm afternoon. And our friend P at the front seat had just told the driver to slow down. And then I didn't know what was happening...we were hit by another cab and God it was true, our cab was turning and tossing up and down and we came to know later that it had tossed 4 times! And in those few minutes, my mind was blank and wondering if it would all stop at all.

I don't even remember that someone had pulled me out of the cab through broken doors and windows, what I remember that my mobile which was in my hand was lying somewhere and I found it, it's display gone...I found my slippers, wore them and I knew I had cuts, there were little blood stains, my peach colour suit was torn at the back and I was using my favourite dupatta to cover myself up.

P was better than the rest of us tyankfully for he had used the seat belt, and I was better than the rest inspite of the cuts and the pain. J was bleeding badly for the cab had hit her side of the window. A was hurt too but the degree of her hurt came out much later but then she was better than the others then. VS, VK and IL were thrown out like bags as they had not locked the door.

People assembled all around us and some passers by even didn't think that anyone could have escaped alive. I don't remember much of the cab's condition but friends who saw it were nauseating. P did a lot, gathered all the courage, called the PCR, sent us all to the hospital, got first aid for himself before he could make it to the hospital.

Inside the PCR van, we all were shivering in pain and fright, J's head was bleeding and IL and me tried to hold her tight, tell her everything was going to be okay till the time we reached the hospital.

In spite of the terrible nature of the accident, none of us had received any fracture. There were dressings and stitches and three of us were discharged on the same night. The rest were to recover in due time but everyone out of danger!

It took some time for all of us to get back in shape and join work one by one. It was nearly after a month that the last member joined! The finest gesture I ever saw from management was when they got a cake for us to celebrate our rebirth and return and yes, the seven of us cut that cake to cheer our health! And P's heroism was applauded too!

The scar still remains, the pain is long gone and what remains are memories of friendship and togetherness. And memories of a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment